Friday, April 29, 2011

About the FREEDOM behind hijab a story from

This story i came across on chron.com. The author of it is a young american lady, student of the University of Houston. I liked her way to explain about american law for americans....... Here the story:

"Walking amid shops, my friend and I were trying to decide where to eat. It was one of those beautiful days with perfect weather, and we couldn't stop smiling. Having a good time seemed inevitable.
I was telling my friend about a party coming up when a black Lexus SUV stopped in front of us and an occupant rolled down a window.
"You don't have to wear that, you know," a lady said to us from the driver's seat. "This is America."
Confused, I looked at my friend to see if she knew what this lady was talking about. Then it hit me — she was referring to the headscarves we were wearing, known as hijab and worn by Muslim women.
So I replied, "We know, but we choose to wear it because America gives us that choice."
"That's sad," she answered. "That's just sad."
Before I could reply, she sped off, leaving us bemused and uncomfortable.
If anything, I thought, the sad thing was that woman. Within seconds of seeing us, she judged us and rendered her verdict: These poor Muslim girls don't realize that no one can force them to wear such oppressive garments. They must have been brainwashed.
Perhaps if she had asked to hear our perspective instead of thrusting her ethnocentric views upon us, she would have realized that maybe, just maybe, some aspects of her way of life might not be unquestionably superior.
According to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, there are 1.57 billion Muslims in the world, making Muslims 22 percent of the world's population. According to the Catholic Church, Islam is the largest religion in the world.
The actions of 19 Muslims on Sept. 11, 2001, defined in many minds of the West the sum total of Muslim thought and behavior.
Had I the chance, I would have explained to the lady that we choose to cover instead of flaunt our bodies. I was given this choice by our American forefathers, who fought for the freedom of religion for all Americans. Had she said I wasn't an American because of what I believe in or what I choose to wear, I would have asked her if she could tell me what an American looks like. Would she say Americans wear eagle feathers in their hair and speak Cherokee?
One has to wonder if she would have done the same had she come across two nuns instead of two Muslim girls.
Any person has the right to be curious and ask questions. However, there is a problem when they have already made up their minds and ask only to belittle another. There is a problem when they have no idea what Islam teaches, do not make an effort to befriend Muslims and their only source of knowledge comes through a rectangular screen in their living room.
When I am shopping in a mall or standing in the checkout line at Walgreens, I shouldn't have to be cautious of what I do or say. I shouldn't have to force myself to smile to strangers if I am having a bad day. I shouldn't have to deal with the stares and angry looks. There is something wrong with our society if it makes me feel that way.
I am an American Muslim. I practice Islam because I choose to. I wear a hijab because I want to. And stepping outside my house, covered, makes me no less American than anyone who chooses to conform to ethnocentric views of society. Muslims are not the enemy here. Ignorance is. "
Shariff is a University of Houston student.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this- you make me proud to be an American (and the woman in the SUV makes me cringe. Your observation about nuns makes a great point.
    Please keep speaking up- hopefully more and more people will evolve beyond their ethnocentric views!

    ReplyDelete